Wednesday 21 March 2012

Popping My Cherry

After a few years of writing blogs for other people (clients), I’ve decided to start my own. Easier said than done. The first question that would ordinarily come to a smarter person would be what to blog about but we are talking about me here. I instead concerned myself with the template design, what font I would use, where I would source for images, blah, blah, blah. What I didn’t know and didn’t occur to me till much later was that I was stalling on actually writing anything. I’m still working on the aesthetics and I figure that will go on for some time to come. Then I remembered what a pastor told me, “When embarking on a new journey, the best way to do it is to just start”. Well, here I am. Starting.

So the question remains, what do I write about?

I figure the best (easiest) thing to write about would be something I know a lot about. Something I experience daily, something I have a special affinity for. I’m a single black woman, with a son, residing in the trigger of Africa – Nigeria. I’m a self-taught social media manager and jack of most trades (sounds more glamorous than it really is). So I’m gonna be writing about my life, my experiences, my thoughts on different issues/ trends/ etc. So if this is not your kettle of fish, I suggest you mosey on back to whatever website brought you here. That’s 25% of you gone. I must warn you my writing is going to be raw, no-holds-barred, without fear or favor so if your sensibilities are easily offended then this isn’t the blog for you. That’s another 15% gone. As the writer (and artistic director) of this blog, I may choose to add some ‘flair’ to some of my posts, make them funnier, make the bad guys badder or the fine boys finer. If you are the sort of person who goes round trashing other peoples’ posts, calling them ‘unreal’, you’d best get the hell away from my blog because I already hate you (and my ego bruises easily). That’s 10% off to destroy some other writer’s dream.

Which leaves me with 50%. If you fall into that 50%, then this blog may be for you. If 1 out of every 2 people who visit my blog likes my posts, then I believe that I’ve done a very good job. I’ve decided to name it DIARY OF A SINGLE BLACK MOTHER. No need for theatrics there. Simple and to the point. The Blogger ID is nubiandiaries. Also simple (of course I think Nubian is the sexiest way of saying black).

I guess that’s all you need know about ‘that’. By the way, I’m on the very good side of forty, have almost degrees in Adult Education and English language. I’m what some might call vertically challenged but what I like to think of as portable (‘petite’ makes me think of French midgets). I still live with my mum (shake your head all you want but if you’re a single gal in a city like Lagos, you want to save your money anyway you can. At least what little there might be). I’ve been unlucky in love a couple of times but I’m still hoping to meet the right one (this actually gets harder as you grow… wiser). But most importantly, I love my son with every fibre of my being. He can do no wrong (that is until he wakes up). I still find myself checking his arse to see if the sun is shining out of it.

I promise to keep my posts as truthful as possible (a girl’s still gotta have some secrets). In return, I would love it if you would share your thoughts on my posts by commenting below. Also feel free to share my posts to your social media pages like Facebook, Twitter, et al.

In fact, you can start commenting now.

(BTW, how many of you were expecting something else from the title? Those that said yes are part of MY 50%.)

No comments:

Post a Comment